Follow by Email

Sunday, 5 March 2017

What, why, when?

I've been investigating my family history, on and off, for about 10 years.  I can't remember why I started - maybe I saw an episode of Who Do You Think You Are? and got fired up with ideas about storming the Palace to reclaim my long-lost birthright.  I suspect it was something more mundane and I just geeked out on the idea of inputting an endless stream of dates into a database and drawing up relationship charts.

In any case, it's not at all like WDYTYA?.  I haven't somehow bumped into a professional researcher in an archive or cafe who holds a mysterious document that unlocks a 200 year old family mystery.  I haven't found a connection to Queen Victoria, or even minor European nobility.  There's no long lost family fortune (sorry Mum), just an unbroken stream of working class families with their share of struggle and success.

I've started this blog as a way to share some of my experiences and opinions about genealogy, as well as some information about my own family.  Hopefully it may find an audience among fellow researchers.  Casual readers with no interest in genealogy should be forewarned - not all of it is going to interest you.  But some of it might.  I don't know how frequent my posts will be - working full-time allows me to make no promises!

In any case, the first run of posts won't be about my family at all.  I'm embarking on a mission to resolve a decades old mystery...


No comments:

Post a Comment