Follow by Email

Friday, 24 March 2017

Friday's Faces from the Past


Life has left little time for genealogy work this week, so just a short blog highlighting a photo from the Gulliver papers that I particularly like – and one of the few that is labelled.

Effra Parade School, Xmas 1946, Tulse Hill Tenants Assn Party

On the back of this picture it says ‘Effra Parade School, Xmas 1946, Tulse Hill Tenants Assn Party’.  None of the individuals are named, unfortunately, but I assume that one or more of the Gulliver children are featured.    I chose this photo to share for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, it sparks off some of my own memories about similar events I attended as a kid, thanks to my grandparents’ membership of a residents club.  But mainly I just love the way that the kids’ personalities come through, even more so than in the standard school photos that we all remember.  A couple of the boys in the middle row look typically distracted, while the 4 in the middle with arms round each other clearly want to be centre of attention.  The boy at the left of the second row looks a little forlorn, and someone should have sorted his hat out!  And I assume that’s Santa at the back, and that we can put the slightly improvised nature of the costume down to it being just after the war…


Apparently Effra Primary School closed in 2002.  The kids in this photo will now be in their seventies and eighties.  If by any chance, you remember the school, or recognise anyone, do let me know in the comments!








No comments:

Post a Comment